What’s on your bucket list? What do you want to do before you die? This blog post will explore the idea of bucket lists and give you plenty of bucket list ideas.
As we grow older, we start to recognize that there will come a time when some of our dreams cannot be fulfilled. This is not only sad, but it can also feel frustrating and disappointing.
Instead of waiting for this inevitable reality, as if you’re resigned to the idea your bucket list may never happen, get started on your bucket list now to prevent any regrets in the future.
What’s a Bucket List?
A bucket list is a written record of all the things one wants to accomplish or experience in their lifetime. These are usually big goals like climbing Mount Everest but can also include smaller tasks like learning another language or watching every episode of Friends. Everyone should write down their bucket list to make sure not to forget anything!
A bucket list can also be made up of personal goals, dreams, and ambitions – the sorts of things you want to do or see before it’s too late.
Your bucket list can be as long or short as you want it to be because it is your own personal bucket list that only you need to see.
If you’re looking to have a dedicated journal for your bucket list, you might enjoy this Bucket List Book & Planner :
When Is the Right Time to Make Your Bucket List?
The best time to create your bucket list is now. You can never be too old to start a bucket list.
You could start by making the more general items that are always important: do something nice for someone else, learn how to make one of your favorite dishes from scratch, or finally read through all those books you’ve been meaning to get around to reading.
The right time to make a bucket list is when you feel your goals are within reach. And it’s important to consider the quality of time that’s left and how much you’re willing to sacrifice for these things.
This is because there might not be enough time left to make everything on your bucket list happen, so it’s better to prioritize which ones you want to happen now.
The right occasion for making a bucket list is different for everyone. Many people will start bucket lists when they are no longer able to work or if something bad has happened, making them realize how little time is left and what’s important in life.
What Are Common Things on a Bucket List?
There are common things that people will usually put on their bucket list. Those include :
- Go to a concert
- Visit the Louvre in Paris
- Learn to play an instrument
- Travel outside of the country
- Take a dance class
- Make your own ice cream sundae at home with friends or family members
- Go zip-lining
- Visit all 50 states in the U.S
- Visit a foreign country
- Go skydiving
You might enjoy this really cool book of Adventure Bucket List Ideas :
What Are Some Bucket List Ideas?
Everyone’s bucket list is unique and might include some extreme adventures or simple things they absolutely want to make sure they do one day. Some ideas include :
- Go to the top of a tall building
- Visit every continent
- Take a ride in a hot air balloon
- Swim with dolphins
- Eat at an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant
- Ride a horse on the beach
- Watch a Broadway show in New York City
- Hike up a mountain and watch the sunset from the top
- Learn how to cook at least one new dish
- Spend a day at Disney World with your family and friends
What Are the Top 10 Bucket List Items?
Some top bucket list items you will often see on bucket lists could be traveling to a new country. Other top bucket list items include :
- Visit the White House
- Take a road trip across America
- Visit the Eiffel Tower
- Skydive for the first time
- Ride a camel in Egypt
- See the Northern Lights
- Swim with dolphins in Hawaii
- Go on safari in Africa
- Plan a trip to the Grand Canyon
- Visit the Statue of Liberty
Ultimate Bucket List Ideas
People who want to have the most epic life can choose from these ideas! Bucket lists are great because they encourage you to do new things. Some ideas to add to your ultimate bucket list :
- Travel to every continent
- Ride in a hot air balloon
- Skydive for the first time
- Take a cooking class at a culinary institute
- Learn to surf
- See all of the Seven Wonders of the World
- Attend Coachella festival
- See Mount Everest
- Fly First Class
- Become fluent in French
- Live abroad
- Read 100 Books
- Go on a helicopter ride
Must-Do Bucket List Ideas
Having a must-do bucket list means having a bucket list full of all the things you need to do before you die. These are some cool and unforgettable activities, destinations, memories, or relationships worth making part of your life now. Some ideas to include on your list :
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Visit the Baseball Hall of Fame
- Watch the sunrise or sunset from your own backyard
- Get a tattoo with an important date on it
- Eat at an ethnic restaurant you’ve never tried before
- Go to a music festival
- Spend Christmas Eve in New York City
- Travel somewhere exotic and explore another culture
- Go bungee jumping
- Go white water rafting
Must-Have Bucket List Ideas
There are some must-have bucket list ideas that everyone should consider. Some of those include :
- Volunteer at an animal shelter for a day
- Sleep in a hammock overnight
- Host a dinner party with friends and family
- Spend an entire day outside, no electronics allowed!
- Travel the world
- Attend an NBA game
- Take up a new hobby – try painting, knitting, or woodworking
- Learn to cook an authentic dish from another culture
- Take a trip to the ocean
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen for the holidays
Simple Bucket List Ideas
There is no particular way to make a bucket list, and certainly, your bucket list can include simple things. For instance, you might want to go for a walk in the woods or read a good book. The point is that you should take some time out of your busy life and do something different. You’ll feel better about yourself at the end of it! Some ideas for you to consider :
- Spend a day at the beach
- Go on a road trip with friends
- Watch the sunrise or sunset from your favorite spot
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter one day every month to help out animals in need
- Sleep under the stars
- Run a 5k race
- Go to a sporting event
- Have brunch at your favorite restaurant
- Watch a movie in bed with your significant other
- Ride a roller coaster for the first time
- Plant a tree
- Play chess
- Fly a Kite
- Send a message in a bottle
- Make your own ice cream
- Create a family tree
- Learn archery
Unique Bucket List Ideas
This is great for people who have a bucket list but need inspiration. There is no shortage of interesting things to do :
- Build your own treehouse
- Learn how to juggle
- Get your fortune told by tarot cards or palm reading
- Spend one day without using any electricity, including no lights and no cell phone charger plugged in
- See an opera
- Try something new for 30 days
- Spend the night in an abandoned house
- Stay up all day and night for 24 hours straight
- Reach out to a stranger with an email, text, or phone call
- Get your car detailed by professionals
- Attend a murder mystery dinner
- Ride an elephant in Thailand
What Are the Best Places to Add to a Bucket List?
Traveling might be a big interest of yours, and you might want to add some neat travel destinations and unique locations to your bucket list so that you can go to them and check them off your bucket list. Another thing you might want to put on your bucket list is visiting some of the most famous landmarks in the world. Some ideas for you to consider :
- Travel to the other side of the world
- Spend a day in Paris
- Spend a day on Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco
- See where The Wizard of Oz was filmed
- Go to Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany
- Walk through Times Square in New York City at night time
- See Niagara Falls from both sides, Canada and America side!
- Visit the Taj Mahal
- Climb Mount Kilimanjaro
- Visit Alaska
- Do an all-nighter in Las vegas
- Vacation in Rio de Janeiro Brazil
- Visit New Zealand
Summer Bucket List Ideas
When it comes to summer bucket list ideas, the possibilities are endless. If you’re looking for something new to try this summer, here are some ideas for you :
- Spend a day at the beach
- Attend an outdoor concert
- Go to a festival or fair
- Volunteer at an animal shelter for the day
- Get your nails done with friends
- Take a scenic drive to see all of the beautiful views in your area
- Rent a boat and go fishing
- Visit an amusement park
- Take a hike in nature
- Host a summer party with food, drinks, and games!
- Spend time reading on the porch or by the poolside
- Get on a ferris wheel
- Attend a baseball game
- Name a star
- Swim at night
Bucket List Ideas Before You Die
It is very common to create a bucket list of items to do before you die. The bucket list can be created by considering what your personal goals, both short-term and long-term, are together with those of your partner’s or loved one’s. Some fun ideas you could add to your list :
- Take a trip to Italy
- Learn how to dance salsa, tango, flamenco, bachata, merengue etc.!
- Live in another country
- Write a book
- Speak more than one language
- Ride a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Try surfing in Bali
- Visit the Great Wall of China
- Attend a NASCAR race
- Climb Machu Picchu
Crazy Bucket List Ideas
Perhaps you want to do something so crazy people will remember you for it. It might be something not many people would be willing to do, such as :
- Sail around the world
- Write and publish a book by the end of this year
- Participate in an Ironman triathlon
- Have a sleepover at the zoo
- Cook something new for dinner every night for one week
- Get a tattoo
- Become a vegetarian for six months
- Go on the world’s longest roller coaster ride
- Get your picture taken while holding a live fish
- Ride on a boat through the canals of Amsterdam
- Ride a Mechanical Bull
Bucket List Ideas for Couples
It is always a treat to share neat experiences with a loved one. This is why bucket list ideas for couples might be the perfect thing to do together.
For a couple who love hiking, you could make your way up to Machu Picchu or plan to go on an African safari where there are plenty of animals to view in person. Some other ideas include :
- Take a backpacking trip through Europe
- Take a walk on the beach
- Go camping in the woods (or just set up camp in your own backyard)
- Watch the sunset together
- Attend an NBA game.
- Take a cooking class together
- Go on a road trip together
- Have an adventure in the woods or mountains
- Visit a museum or art gallery together
- Plan an adventure together
Final Thoughts on Bucket List Ideas
A bucket list can be as short or long as you want it to be because it is your own personal bucket list that nobody else will see but you! The beauty of starting on a new bucket list now is that no one has the power to deny any of your dreams. You are in control and get to decide what happens with this important piece of yourself- not anyone else.
Get started today by brainstorming all of your dream goals for life, so there’s less chance for regrets later on down the road. Whether big or small, please don’t wait until tomorrow when it might be too late.